Friday, November 13, 2009

I am furious. Isaac had desperate inconsolable crying for over 3 hours from 7:00 p.m. to after 10 p.m. after having his vaccinations at about 4:00 p.m. I talked to the nurse today. She said some kids have that. The sheet for DTap they give you says you should talk to your health care provider for more information if that happens and that some of these children should not have another dose of pertussis vaccine but should get a DT. When I asked if his reaction was probably from the Dtap, the nurse told me that really any of the shots can cause that reaction. I said, "So I guess that is a good reason not to give so many at once." She said, "I guess so." I said, "So do you usually not continue with the series then." She said, "We do. It is a personal decision though." I said I had read that it may be caused by swelling of the brain. She said it is often just the injection sites themselves that hurt and then the kids get so worked up they can't stop crying. I said he was fine in the evening and then this started at about 7:00. She said she didn't know what causes it but she would let the doctor know Isaac had that reaction. I suspect it is the Dtap as that is the only vaccine sheet that lists that as a symptom.

So this is considered an acceptable reaction and you just proceed with the vaccine schedule? What is happening to their little brains? If there was an adult vaccine that made you cry insonsolably for hours because you were in so much pain from pressure on your brain would you repeat it? A baby can't articulate what they are feeling, but you can tell from their cry that something is very wrong. Isaac was in a lot more pain than than from the circumcision. I am sure that was painful but this was different.

I will never again give so many vaccines at once (and we didn't even give the Hep B) I am concerned about a baby receiving so much injected aluminum at once and so many things to fight at the same time. But even aside from that, you don't even know what they are reacting to when they get so many. I hope and pray Isaac is okay. He seems fine today. Kids are resillient. I am kind-of kicking myself for not spacing the vaccines and annoying the doctor by ordering the Dtap low in aluminum. I don't like feeling like I am fighting the doctor. It would be so much easier if I could find a doc who was supportive of using caution in vaccination and in evaluating an adverse effect according to the package insert.

From the Dtap vaccine insert:
If temperature ≥105°F, collapse or shock-like state, or persistent, inconsolable crying lasting ≥3 hours have occurred within 48 hours after receipt of a pertussis-containing vaccine, or if seizures have occurred within 3 days after receipt of a pertussis-containing vaccine, the decision to give INFANRIX should be based on potential benefits and risks. (5.3)

I was trying to figure out what this means. Other medical sites called Isaac's reaction a pre-caution or warning. Not a contra-indication that they should not have the vaccine but a warning. What do you do with that? Your kid may be having a bad brain reaction to this vaccine. I did find one medical site that said perhaps if there was a pertussis outbreak the benefits would outweight the risks. Todd and I are both going to get the Pertussis vaccine. Isaac has gotten one dose. I guess I will monitor the Health Department's web-site and if there is a wide-spread Pertussis outbreak in the community when he is still little, we will stay home.

Things I have learned from various sources about vaccination:
Don't want to give Tylenol to pre-medicate. May mask a reaction. May make vaccines less effective. Gives the kidneys more to process when they are already taxed. Of course, if a fever is dangerously high you want to give it. And we gave it because Isaac was in extreme pain but we did not the next day when he was just fussy.

1 comment:

  1. Good Day Every-One

    My Names are Muhammad Tahir Hayat Sipra, am from India in Punjab, Me and my entire family has been suffering for hepatitis B from birth, We have gone to all the hospitals and there wasn't any solution even our family DR confirm it to us that there is no cure for this disease but can only be control even my 3 kids are Hepatitis B positive, till this day a friend of mine told me about this clinic who have help her to get rid of this incurable disease name Hepatitis B, That was how i give it a try, to my fullest surprise me and my entire families are no Negative of Hepatitis B even it was a surprise to my scientist Dr who graduated with PhD here in India, he now direct all his Hepatitis B positive patient to this clinic name HEALTH MED LAB, don't be left out contact him if you are diagnose with this same disease for cure their email healthmedlab@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete