Sunday, November 15, 2009

Reverse Psychology at Bedtime

For months we have been using THE GATE (baby gate across the door) as a threat when she gets out of bed. "Sara, if you get out of one more time I will put up the gate." "No! Don't put up the gate." And she stays in bed. Two nights ago she decided she wanted the gate up. "Mom, please put up the gate so I don't get curious." And then she was able to knock it down. "Can I please have the gate?" Now I say, "No, Sara. I will not put up the gate. It doesn't help you remember to stay in bed." Hey! What just happened here?

Last night, we threatened to take stuffed animals away from her if she did not stay in bed. Todd told her, "I am not going to tell you to stay in your bed again." As she went back to bed he whispered to me, "I am not going to say anything. The next time she comes out here, I am going to go and take an animal." Two seconds later, Sara is back. "Here, you can take this one," she says as she hands over a stuffed doll. We are being schooled by a three year old.

She went back to bed. The next time she got out, Todd picked an animal and took it away. This resulted in many tears and screaming.

Todd told me that it's like us making an offering to God. When we choose what to offer it's not a big sacrifice. But when God chooses it's a lot harder. Like Abraham being asked to offer his son Isaac.

1 comment:

  1. Kristin, I am really enjoying reading your posts! What fun to read the insights of a mother of kids around Elia's age. It's also giving me a glimpse into the life of my 'God Daughter' and ways to pray for her. Thanks for writing these stories down.

    ReplyDelete